View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #139
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiLinguist View Post
Yes, I also find it disappointing that you cannot annotate or highlight PDF documents on the Kindle DX (according to the current version of the users' guide), however I personally don't find that a deal-breaker. I usually either take notes on paper or I can just bookmark the page to come back and look at it. It would have been nice if Amazon allowed PDF annotation/highlighting but may be they will add it in a future firmware update?
My past experience has been that I take enough notes right on the printed page that just bookmarking things would leave me with a bewildering hodgepodge of bookmarks, with no idea where the important bits regarding, say, murine ribonucleotide reductase:structure of, as opposed to the important bits regarding prokaryotic ribonucleotide reductase: biochemistry of, could be found.

Regarding the firmware update possiblity--that would certainly be nice, and would be at least theoretically possible. But so far I've never seen Amazon include a new feature in a firmware update. (I can't tell you how often I've hoped the next firmware update would have folders, for example.) So I'm kind of dubious, though I would be happy to be wrong about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiLinguist View Post
As for PDF searching, I believe it's contextual in nature. If you use the global search, it only searches the PDF metadata but it isn't powerful enough to search the content of *all* PDF files stored on the device. However, if you use the 'Search This Document' menu item while a PDF document is open, it searches the content of that PDF file. At least, that's how I imagine it should work. I could certainly be wrong.
I agree that is a reasonable interpretation of the current confused state of the user manual on this issue. It would be better than nothing, so I hope it's the correct one.

However for me, being able to search the content of all the pdfs at once would be pretty important. See above about murine Ribonucleotide Reductase, for example. The last time I wrote a paper I had nearly a hundred documents involved--I hate to think how long it would take to search each of them individually.

Don't get me wrong--if it meets your needs (or other people's needs in general) I'm happy for you/them. But I'm beginning to doubt that it will meet mine.

And it's SO close!
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote