View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
iain robinson
Connoisseur
iain robinson began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks guys. I did know about having to add the com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file - I tried that and iBooks still wouldn't see the embedded fonts. I don't think iBooks' font embedding implementation is 100% standards compliant (no surprise there).

DiapDealer - the file I sent was the original ePUB. When I converted all the font files to the Adobe method using the latest version of Sigil and then resaved the file it crashed Sigil when I tried to open the resaved file.

I guess I have my answer - it doesn't seem like files from older versions of Indesign can be made to have embedded and obfuscated fonts in a way that iBooks can recognise. Yes, obfuscation is a must - the font license dictates that the font must be embedded in a secure manner which doesn't allow access to the font outside of the ePUB. Although I have discovered I could subset the font using Calibre which doesn't technically disallow access to the font but would make it useless if anyone tried.

I'm really desperate not to have to embed any fonts in this job but I need to know what I'm up against if the client insists.
iain robinson is offline   Reply With Quote