View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #452
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_M_Mugford View Post
...Running through my set of tagsGM takes me five minutes. But it leaves a LOT of books uncategorized, which I then manually assess and assign. THAT takes the time.

The issue is handling the tags terms. Biographies is different from Biographies & Memoirs is different from Biographies And Memoirs. And so on. I have the main terms covered. Fine-tuning it has proven beyond my capabilities and/or my time allowances. Still, this thread has re-invigorated that desire and I am more actively interested. I like the idea of a program that digests tags sets and produces a value in a created column. In delphi, I'd just split the tags into a stringlist, all caps. Then I would search each item for whether pos(searchterm, item.text) > 0 and then edit the created column for the pre-determined value. I'd be able to nest the searches in the order I WANT, so that Mysteries and Thrillers falls into the Mystery category rather than the Thriller category, no matter where that individual tag lands in the tag list. There's also the problem of Science Fiction Mysteries (which I would prefer to be in SF, rather than Mystery) having to be assigned in such a way (either by going first or last, depending on the methodology), so that I get the assignment I desire.

But Python is not Delphi and my knowledge is ... lacking. Doing the above, splitting the tag set, capitalizing the results and then comparing it to my tagsGM list, sub-term by sub-term is beyond me. But I'm watching your examples, playing with your programs. So keep up the work. Please. You'll be helping more than ACGAuthor.

Thanks.
Let me ask you a basic question. Why do you download tags at all?

I bet I spend less time not downloading tags, but reading comments then designating my own tags in my own custom columns, than you do, or than I would if I downloaded tags and had to assess and transform the downloaded tags into something workable.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote