View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #27
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Amazon stated that, if one leaves WiFi off and reads 30 minutes per day and leaves the light at maximum, the battery should last 2 months. That works out to 30 hours before a recharge.

If you are reading 6 hours per day with WiFi on, then 2 days would be correct. With WiFi off you'd get about 15 hours. WiFi on does use lots of juice.

On my Kindle Fire I use GSam Battery Monitor and it shows that my WiFi there uses 36% of my battery usage while the screen uses 44%. The PW screen uses a lot less juice and WiFi probably uses a lot more.

My PW got a full charge on Oct 6 and now on Oct 10 it has used about 33% of the battery charge. I leave WiFi on all the time. I've read about 6 hours on it. Thus, I should also get about 15 hours of reading over 12 days to get down to the 15% level where I recharge.

We do not have android battery meters for the PW like on the Fire. Thus, its all guessing and estimating here. On the Fire we know EXACTLY how our power is being used.
Yes, I guess I am not terribly surprised.
But I use the KT in the same way (wifi/3g always on, as my PW) and the battery lasts about 30-40 hours. Of course, the PW battery has to last less - so 30 hours with wifi off seems reasonable.
On the other side, I cannot help feeling that wifi/3g is not managed optimally by Kindles. I think it checks for new items/syncs way too often, by default. I don't need my notes sync'd every 10 min, or whatever it is doing.

But it's not a big deal. If it was, I would just turn wifi off. I work all day at my PC and read at night usually (well, with exceptions...) but it is not a problem to just plug it in when sitting at my desk. Or charge it overnight.

On the other side, it might be a problem when travelling. I often fly to Europe, both for work and to see my family. Often, with connections, those flights end up taking 25-30 hours. Now, that is getting too close to the battery life for comfort, even with wifi off. Well, I guess I can use my ipad for 10 hours.... or maybe even sleep sometimes
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote