View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Question Opinions: Replace Battery on my PRS-505 or get CHEAP new Kobo?

My battery on my 505 JUST went. Last two days or so it all of a sudden won't hold a charge. So I have to decide... do I finally ditch my trusty 505 (which is in otherwise solid shape) or do I toss a little cash out for something new? Emphasis on "a little", because I don't really want to spend that much right now. The obvious alternative then might be a Kobo Wifi, while they're on sale.

I have only a day to decide though, since the $40 coupon on the Kobo for Borders Rewards ends on the 17th. I have a $17 store credit. The Kobo Wifi with the coupon is $99. So I'd pay $82 plus tax.

But... I won't really use the Wifi. Its not a feature which matters to me, since I use Calibre and a USB cable for everything.

So... opinions. Do I simply fix the 505 (the instructions on the site here seem pretty clear, and it looks like I can get the battery for $15 or $16 bucks shipped), or go Kobo? Is the Kobo a year in now, with the latest firmware, and on their 2nd generation of hardware, good enough to trump an older Sony unit (and yes, I do have the PRS+ addon)? That's basically what I need to know, I guess, since I've barely paid attention to the Kobo since it came out (and never actually tried one hands-on when it did).

Last edited by Spiffy; 01-16-2011 at 04:32 AM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote