View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #48
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It's a major annoyance! Usually we're talking about something between 20 to 45 minutes... depending on flight traffic. Bad weather and/or busy airports can have a major impact on takeoff/landing times. The worst is if you are still on the ground knowing that it'll take another 30 minutes before it's your turn to take off, yet, because the takeoff sequences has already started, you're no longer allowed to use your e-reader.
I'm not exactly your business-type-2-times-a-week frequent flyer, but I fly about 7-12 times a year, sometimes more, and I have to ask: is this taken so much more seriously in the US than I remember (last time I was there was in 2010)?

Whenever I fly (US or elsewhere), reading with an ereader 5 minutes after take-off is never a problem. Nobody has ever said anything to me, not the flight attendants and not fellow passengers. Even if the fasten-seatbelt sign is still on, I basically feel free to go back to my reader after the steepest part of take-off is over (deactivated WiFi, of course).

An e-reader with deactivated WiFi is no different than a smartphone in flight mode; and people don't turn those off either.

Same goes for landing. I finish reading just a few minutes before the actual landing -- in full view of flight attendants (it's not like I'm hiding anything) and they do not seem to care.

Matt
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote