View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #671
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
proposal for side buttons in dive-in menus

The screenies in #639 and #660 got me thinking a bit more about how to make the best use of the side Left/Right buttons, especially for the 4-way controller.

So what do people think of this? I suspect that in real use cases the L/R buttons will be disabled in most dive-in menus because it's unlikely for a sub-menu to include but a handful of entries, which only need a single page to fit(*). So I propose that when KUAL is showing a dive-in menu (second-level and deeper) the side buttons change their function from Left/Right to Up/Down. Of course in the top level menu L/R work only to scroll pages horizontally as they do now.

The benefit on KT/PW is that there's a larger area to hit with fat fingers to go up a level. The benefit on older platforms is that there's less tedious scrolling to do to navigate the menu hierarchy.

(*) Currently 5 items fit in a K3/K4/DX page. That's probably not enough to support this proposal. In KUAL2 dev builds it is actually easy to change the number of items per page by setting KUAL_page_size="8" or another suitable number.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote