View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #59
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
So... pump out tons of glittering-vampire c**p for lunch money... or labor like you're possessed and give the soul of your labors away, so maybe 3-4 of the saturated masses will find it, and find time to read it amidst the thousands of other e-books pushed at them.

And people call me "negative."
I don't labour at all, there's very little sweat in my creation and I enjoy every single minute of that creation with all of my soul poured into the craft. I wrote a story at lunch today about D. Boon from the band The Minutemen. I spent half an hour on it, and forgot to eat my lunch. I'm glad I went hungry. I can do whatever I like, whenever I like, without any notion of pleasing anybody but me and my own creative drives as long as I don't expect to be paid. I'll also take three or four readers who come to my work out of honest curiosity and interest over a million who would buy my work because they've taken notice of marketing.

It's a trade-off, and a very simple trade-off at that. If you want to treat writing as a business, then you're going to have to treat it as a business not an art. You'll have to temper your instincts and your passions to sell to the widest possible audience. If that means sparkly vampires, then sparkly vampires it shall be. Write enough sparkly vampires, stupid religious conspiracies and private eye stories and you'll make your retirement money in spades.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote