View Single Post
Old 02-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i agree, that seems pretty easy. but the problem is, what if the majority say, "okay, no ebooks then ! fine with us !" ? i WANT my favorite authors to be published in ebooks !! and to be honest, if this means they will only accept to be published with drm, i will buy a drm copy and remove the drm, if it's a book i want enough. i'd rather have the book and take that little bit of extra trouble (it's not *that* much extra trouble, anyway, particularly since french publishers are overwhelmingly choosing to publish in epub format, and adobe epub drm is now really easy to remove, and epub is my format of choice anyway).

oh, i so, so agree !!! i don't know what percentage of authors are clinging to drm (not all of them ; some even publish under cc licences, i know) but it's really a shame they are still stuck in this mindset.

especially because look at JK Rowling, arguably the most high-profile anti-ebook author : she refused to allow *any* ebook editions of her works, to stick it to those nasty pirates. yep. can't find *any* harry potter ebooks...

i do think they will eventually be convinced, but there are so many of them, if you have to go one by one who knows how long that will take. that's why i am wondering if we should start writing to our favorite authors, just to ask how they feel about the question (ebooks in general, and drm as well), and perhaps to point them in the direction of some convincing articles if they write back saying "pirates !! arg !!!"

some of my favorite authors are dead, so i hope nobody will be claiming that their ebooks have drm "because the author insisted."
Well I know how my favourite author feels, he's expressed it very clearly.
Quote:
“There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel." -- Ray Bradbury
A shame that the author who so lovingly showed me the possibilities of the future would turn out to be such a luddite when it comes to ebooks.

It's probably the same for a lot of the 'A-List', and I don't think it's necessarily due to an anti-technology bent. These authors have made their money already, they're at the top of the pile from traditional book sales. They probably see e-books as cutting into their sales or being easily pirated and reducing sales.

Last edited by Moejoe; 02-28-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote