View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #52
Gianfranco
computer scientist
Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Gianfranco once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
Most of our authors (in the field of business administration, social studies, et cetera) work in MS Word. And most of them are quite comfortable applying page settings and margins so that the resulting pdf file can be sent to the printer directly. I consider pdf to be a very valid ebook format, especially with devices with larger screens coming up. I spoke to many people (students, business people) who would just love to have an A4-sized reader, for reading company memos, textbooks, notes, et cetera.
Having an A4-sized reader kind of takes the portability away unless it's foldable, but this is just a subjective opinion.

Quote:
I'd like to see a full break-down of the impact of the production of one ebook reader on the environment first.
This argument is to Paper Vs EBooks as "I'd like to see a full break-down of the impact of the production of one bicycle on the environment first" is to Cars Vs Bicycles. eBook readers will surely affect the environment, all production does, the important is whether the paper mass industry affects MORE than the production of single eBook readers / softwares for reading eBooks. I am quite confident that ending all the deforestation such that the trees are used for book-papers, and not to mention all the transporting of the books from factory to printing, from printing to seller, etc will remove quite a load from the environmental pressures.

Quote:
It is a format problem, even with reflowable books. Have you ever tried to convert a document containing lots of tables, figures and images to a reflowable document? It's a disaster. We have tested several xml-based publishing systems, but even then, formatting a book is more difficult than many people think.
That is a bad software issue, not a format issue in itself. Just like you can't blame the german language for the inadequacy of the translator. Therefore, as I said earlier, it could be left down for the publishers to make sure the format conversion was made properly and let the authors write.

Quote:
We do our best . Unfortunately, we're not connected to Springer.
Are you considering contacting them? They have a lot of books which look very interesting.

Last edited by Gianfranco; 08-14-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: An error
Gianfranco is offline   Reply With Quote