View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #1961
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by din155 View Post
The hobbit is a book that I never got beyond few pages
The early parts of the hobbit can be hard going for an adult (or maybe for anyone). Even now I have trouble, and I've read it multiple times. The early chapters feel excessively childish - each of these dwarves with their different coloured hats, is one detail that sticks in my mind. The first meeting with the trolls is another. Both feel like something you might be reading to a barely literate child. BUT it does get better, much better. From memory you have to get about a quarter of the way in (about where Bilbo meets Gollum) before it really starts to settle into itself.

At least, that's what I've always thought. I think it's worth persevering with at least once. I re-read it now mostly so the entire experience lasts a bit longer.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote