View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #16041
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
As requested, here are some thoughts on Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. It was quite a change from my previous read, Stephenie Meyers' The Host. The Lewis book lacked the emotional highs and lows of Meyers' book, so it was a bit of an adjustment. On the other hand, the Lewis book had a much greater sense of wonder about it. The book is about a philologist who is brought to the planet of Malacandra against his will, and what he finds there. Out of the Silent Planet and the other two books in the trilogy (Perelendra and That Hideous Strength were written long before the facts of space travel were known, so much of the book is completely wrong on a technical level. The book however is filled with imaginative descriptions of landscapes and aliens, and even a partially-developed new language.

Out of the Silent Planet can be taken at face value or read as a Christian allegory. Lewis doesn't beat you over the head with "This is really Jesus," etc. but I think it's pretty obvious to any reader familiar with Christianity. A good read.

I've begun the second volume in the trilogy but it's slow going at 10% through it, so I'm not yet certain if I'll finish the book.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote