View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #16040
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
I've finished Joyce Carol Oates' The Accursed - a fascinating melange of historical fact & Gothic story telling! Anyone who can make Woodrow Wilson the "hero", well protagonist, of a quasi-vampire novel is truly a master author. [Why hasn't Oates won the Nobel Prize yet? Or the Pulitzer?] It's hard to describe without spoilers [as Stephen King noted in his laudatory review in last week's NYT Book Review] - but if you are fond of historical fiction, Gothic fiction, vampire tales, and the obsessional usage of the word 'unspeakable' - or if you've previously read Oates' Bellefleur or Mysteries of Winterthurn - you'll enjoy this book.

In one sense, this could be Oates' love letter to Princeton University -- in her own unique style.

I just bought this yesterday and I'm looking forward to delving deep into it. She's one of my favorite authors. She started this in 1980, but never completed it (I believe; I don't have the exact circumstances on hand). Finally, revised and with a different name, it now published!

I also have Bellefleur on pre-order. I read this in 1980 and have the First Edition hardback in my library.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-21-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote