Thread: $13 eReader?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #51
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
But, an Android phone should be able to render the contents and send it to the reader. So, there are probably two chances of getting in -- if you have one you've probably got part of the other as well (if you're stuck with one .... eh, well ... never mind ).

I was thinking it would be a rather dumb device that just serves pre-formatted images without compression/decompression. So, unless they use a very complicated format (I don't know how images are served to the e-ink screen) and weird memory allocation I've high hopes
It would be like rooting an earthworm. There's just nothing there. From the sound of it, it may well be that there is no on-board processor worth getting to. The operating system is likely partly hardwired and partly firmware.

So suppose you can get your own app to talk to it (what little of it there is) through the bluetooth interface. What then? Display your own custom pages? To what end? Use it as a picture frame? Something designed for that would suit you better, and probably be cheaper.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote