Thread: MobileRead January 2012 - Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 AM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
So having at least once read all but three of these, I had to go with the one that, though I would not have sought out on my own, I would be willing to read for this book club.

I actually read (actually reread) Black Rain when it came in second and read A Spy Who Came in from the Cold when it came in second as well. When I read the latter I did to really feel the need to own a copy and anyway I had heard that there were these places called “public libraries.” In fact I discovered that there was such an institution even in my very small town way up in the Wisconsin north woods. So I went over to this library. What an amazing place. I just walked right in, no one hindered or questioned me, and had no trouble finding A Spy Who Came in from the Cold amongst literally thousands of books arranged on shelves. It turns out that the staff at the library thoughtfully keeps fiction titles sorted according to the author's last name. So I just reached up and took the book and stopped by the desk at the library entrance where it did not take as much as a minute for the librarian there to check to book out for temporary loan to me. Astounding!
You are making the assumption that everyone has a good public library system...I do not. We found a whopping total of 2 books on aerodynamics from 2 separate libraries when my son was doing research for his science project. It is sad when you can find more info online than in the public library.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote