View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #57
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
So how is that Android Graffiti on the Craig, and how does it compare to the v1/v2 of the original Palms? Does it convert the input to text? I would like to get that functionality back again on a "modern" handheld gizmo.
Graffiti on the Craig works well. It's obviously not as efficient as touch-typing (or even, say, typing the way it would be on the iPad, which I understand people get fairly good at) but it's, IMO, better than the stock Android keyboard on the Craig.

Android doesn't have 2.0 Graffiti. The Graffiti that Access had (licensed, I think) was Graffiti 1. For me, that's just as well, because I never really got used to Graffiti 2. (The two-stroke character was unnatural to me.)

I've tried other keyboards for the Craig, and I could never really get the kind of accuracy I could get with Graffiti (especially with word completion). Remember, though: The Craig has a USB host port, which means that if you wanted to, you could always plug a real keyboard into it.

I've actually uninstalled the latest (Froyo) build of the firmware and gone back to v. 4.2. The work on Froyo's been impressive, but I don't think it's there yet, in terms of stability.

This screen doesn't have multitouch, so you have to temper your expectations in terms of how much like stock Android it's ever going to be, and I wouldn't expect the processor to handle Honeycomb very well, but for what it is, you get a lot. It browses the Web pretty well, you can use it to take notes, it's a nice (albeit large) PDA, and I've gotten it to play videos that I transcoded from my Tivo (although one video got out of sync with the audio about 1/2 way through, for some reason). Also, I haven't tried it, but you can apparently use it to view and interact w/ your desktop remotely via VNC. With the Froyo build (once that's stable) you should be able to go on Google Docs and edit your documents, as well.

All in all, it's a nice little gadget for the money. Not a bad alternative, if you don't want to throw down $350 for a 1st gen iPad or $250 for a Nook Color.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote