View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #143
Tshoe
Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tshoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Rubbish, I tell you, absolute rubbish! If it's not one of the 37, it might as well be Captain Underpants!

Seriously though, I'd be very curious to see how 10th graders would do if they took this test. They couldn't have been assigned them all. And in any case, having been made to read them doesn't necessarily mean that they retained a great deal. Someone who reads a book by choice might well recall more than someone who was required to read it.
You're absolutely right. I was an English major in college, and we had to read a book a week for several semesters in a row (and none of them were short easy-read books). And of course that meant that I read a lot and retained very little, much less remembered the names of any of them. It's the equivalent of cramming for an exam, I suppose - you remember it for a day, maybe two, but it fades out of your long-term memory.

Captain Underpants! That's some quality reading right there! I move that that becomes the hottest title on any required reading list in any academic institution.
Tshoe is offline   Reply With Quote