View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
kenny, I have to agree with Patricia, prs505 is not a clie. For some reason, Sony implemented a very strict spec for the USB which demands a "host" or attached PC before it starts charging. It needs to do some negotiation before it starts up.

But I've been thinking, I use a hacked cable to charge my Nintendo DS on the road using a USB charger, why not hack the barrel tip of a PSP charger and splice that into a USB cable (first grounding the data lines of course, like I did with the USB cable I use for my DS). It would be no different than this cable mod for the PSP itself.

In fact, I think I will try to assemble that this weekend. I have a 3-week holiday in Thailand coming up and I would love to take just the one USB charger for my blackberry, DS, and PRS-505.
At this point I don't think it's just a matter of getting the right voltage to the pins, it appears to be something in the Reader itself that requires a legitimate usb connection (likely handshaking on the serial lines) before it will allow charging.

But do let us know!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote