View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The people who prefer "official" GUI framework code view low-level coders such as myself as computer anarchists, whilst the low-level coders view high-level coders as government cheese-eaters.
Hehe... maybe a bit controversial, but definitely with a grain of truth. I tend to think of myself as somewhere in between: not really afraid of low-level stuff, but not really interested in very high-level stuff either. The "sweet spot" for me is somewhere in between: where much of the high-level stuff can be altered, but (if possible) without having to deal with all the gory low-level details.

Quote:
Personally, I do not want to forsake the framework completely -- I want code that uses and controls both methods, but these recent 5.1.0 changes attack both high-level AND low-level (unofficial) apps, via high-level changes like re-obfuscation, and the "Spanish device codes" breaking high-level custom apps, and low-level changes like making 5.1.x eink structures incompatible with 5.0.x eink structures without renaming them.

Perhaps amazon is taking some clues from Bill Gates here, in an effort to give preferential support to apps with their own official blessing (look up "Windows ain't done till Lotus won't run").
Amen. I can't help it, but I'm feeling like 5.1.0 was indeed a huge step backwards (despite the "customer-friendly" additions like KF8, WPA-EAP and "official" localization). Then again, they changed so many things for the worse, I don't even know where to start.

Quote:
I gave the amazon tech's a "piece of my mind" on the 5.1.0 changes making it difficult to write apps that work on both 5.1.x and 5.0.x, and I requested that they release a new update that is compatible with 5.0.x so we can drop support for 5.1.0 and declare it "hopelessly broken". They said they will get back to me "in a couple of days". We shall see...
Don't hold your breath. I guess it's like knc1 wrote in another thread: "Not invented here, so go screw yourselves" (paraphrasing). I think we (unfortunately) ended up in the classical "arms race", where we are perceived as the bad, evil, hackers, and the company tries to do everything from preventing us to tamper with their holy device. What a short-sighted and stupid prejudice -- trying to prevent their own device from being leveraged to its full potential. Ahh whatever... some people just don't WANT to understand.

Last edited by ixtab; 05-08-2012 at 09:42 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote