View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
Typesetters of the world - ARISE !

subtitle: emdashes

Before I got my electric reader, I reads lots of complaints about poor line wrap and hyphenation - specifically lack of same. After spending a lot of hours I can see the problem clearly. On one hand, my extensive computer and HI background makes me sort of used to the ugliness. But when I look at it objectively I discover the following. The problem isn't going to be solved anytime soon. But the biggest single culprit is emdashes. Typesetters put them between two words with no spacing. Therefore the simpleminded line-wrap software will never break at this point. It won't totally solve the problem, but you book creators need to ponder the following dilema. You could either remain purests on this issue or you could bend to the limitations of the technology and make it easier on the human readers.
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote