Thread: Troubleshooting Extensive highlighting & note-taking
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipes View Post
I am thinking about purchasing a Kindle 3 but wanted to inquire about its ability to handle a high quantity of highlighting and note-taking.

My experience with the Sony PRS-900 (Daily Edition) has been disappointing. I currently have 60 books (mostly PDFs) and over 700 notes on my Sony reader (the notes are mostly highlighted sections about 2-3 sentences long). After reading and highlighting the first few books/pdfs, I noticed a lag of several seconds while the reader "processed" the note. This lag has gotten progressively longer, forcing me to become increasingly selective with highlighting. It now takes about 3-4 minutes for each note to process! The delay obviously makes highlighting while I read impractical.

I am looking for a reader that can handle extensive highlighting. Can anyone confirm that the Kindle 2 or DX (and, by extension, the soon-to-be-released Kindle 3) is suitable for this? Thanks.
I can't answer the performance issue as I have never really timed them myself. However I have the K2 and I highlight a lot. I've highlighted pages at a time, added my own notes and have not had an issue.

I don't believe you'll notice a performance hit on the Kindle. The reason you notice it on the SONY and not the Kindle is because the sony stores all Annotations, bookmarks, and notes in an XML (text ) file. This file is accessed by all of the books, so the more you annotate the more you impact all of your books performance.

The kindle creates one binary file with an extension "mdp" for each book and stores specific book annotations, bookmarks, highlights for each file.
This keeps the files smaller and makes it faster to access all of the annotations; in addition to the fact that binary files have a faster access time.

The "limit" the other poster has mentioned is specifically the clippings, which is not the same as viewing your annotations, highlights, and bookmarks.

The clippings is shared text file for all you books, and it stores all your highlights in a text file called myclippings.txt. It is designed to allow you to easily copy the content of your highlights in case you wish to quote a book. For copyright reasons they limit the amount you can clip.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 08-13-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typos
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote