View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Acreo Aeneas
Kobo Aura
Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Acreo Aeneas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
I have not yet purchased a dedicated e-book reading device and with so much developing now I'm not in a hurry anymore. Not in a hurry to the point where I picked a Verizon Droid smartphone as my toy for the year.

However, of all the current choices I really like what Astak offers much more than Sony due to the user replaceable batteries the Astak units have. After a year of use both my cell phones and mp3 players always have a severe downturn in how long the battery will stay charged. The phones I replace the battery and the phone is like new again. The mp3 players I suffer with or buy another cheap one. I used to work in a cubical so everybody had an mp3 player going all the time to block out nearby meetings and phone conversations so the device lasting shorter and shorter a time was quite noticeable. My personal policy these days is that unless an electronic device has a price tag of $50 or less I won't buy it unless the battery is easily user replaceable.

The issue of having to purchase a cover and A/C charger is another strike against the Sony for me.

Good luck with your choice!
If you want to avoid having to replace batteries so soon, try not to run them down before charging them. Li-Ion batteries only have about 500 to 1000 charge/discharge cycles. This means that if you charge it, then drain it till it dies, it's 1 cycle. So you can imagine that repeated over the course of a year will kill the battery. Charging before it hits 20% capacity is usually recommended so the battery lasts longer.
Acreo Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote