View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for the interesting article. i completely agree that bloated prices are one of the major prices holding ebooks back, currently. as the author says, they are also, ironically, going to encourage piracy, which is hardly in the publishers' best interests.

i found this bit particularly interesting :

Quote:
The idea is to attract more readers at lower price points, not to deter readers with higher price points. Why publishers are moving backward with ebook pricing is beyond me. I’m not sure what we can do about it as readers because I’ve written and complained. If more of us write and complain, will that change things? Maybe the answer for ebook readers who confront the higher prices is to buy these publishers at the used bookstore instead of giving them retail dollars. Yes, this might hurt the authors but maybe the authors should start pushing for more reasonable pricing and no DRM. It shouldn’t all be on the reader.
i am in favor of writing publishers to protest every time we see an ebook at an outrageous price, or to request when a title we want to read is not available as an ebook. and i do think that if enough people write to them they will eventually be forced to listen.

but the idea of authors also putting pressure on publishers is a good idea, and one we don't hear too often... usually authors are portrayed as 1. having no power over publishers, or 2. insisting on drm because they are afraid their books will be pirated.

perhaps if authors started making some noise as well things would move faster...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote