View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #52
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
I don't know what "PEz (MRSDK)" or "Moon+" are, and despite being very much interested in typography for nearly going on 4 decades now, I don't know what you mean by "publisher" fonts. The font I'm embedding is just a freeware font I downloaded, and which embeds just fine in iBooks, and also in ADE 2.0, and the rose centers just fine for me, too (and everything else looks fine in ADE).
By "publisher fonts" he means exactly what it sounds like--the fonts that you, the publisher, include in the book. On Nook, you have to specifically make a choice to "enable" or display Publisher fonts, for the font you've chosen to display, and on the newer NookHD's, you have a better than 90% chance that it won't display anyway--the NookHD Operating System seems to override embedded fonts. We've had several books we've had to remake that, for whatever reason, simply would not display correct embedded, proper type fonts. Absolutely infuriating. Not quite as arrogant as how they override your own CSS with theirs, unless you expressly tell them not to, during the publication; but still..

With regard to the PEZ and Moon, he's talking about the underlying software (Software Developer's Kit) and a reading app, respectively.

Quote:
The issues in that file that I uploaded -- at least, that I'm aware of -- are (a) the embedded font doesn't display in Marvin on the iPad (although it does just fine in iBooks), and (b) in portrait mode in iBooks there's an extra blank page after every single full-page image, although everything's okay in landscape.
You probably embedded the images at 100%, in your CSS, for height. That'll create an extra blank page every time. Not saying that's absolutely it, but...I don't use Marvin, so I can't speak to that. If I had to guess, I'd guess that Marvin, like many other reading apps, allows the user to override the fonts at will, OR, simply does not display your blackletter font. Sorry--really don't know on that one.

Quote:
As I said, I've scoured the forums here, and elsewhere on the 'net, and I have no idea what I've done wrong -- if there's a silly mistake in my code somewhere, it must be one of those times when the "obvious" is right in front of your face but you just don't see it. :/

I'd be soooo appreciative if anyone could take a look at the file I uploaded in my previous message and possibly, hopefully, point out what I'm doing wrong?

Ron
I'm sure someone here who does use Marvin can assist.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote