View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Sci-fi has religious overtones? Some have made-up belief systems which get explored, yes, but otherwise I'm kind of baffled at this remark.
It was probably more the contrast with the other genres I was reading as a teen. Mysteries and thrillers had no hint of religion in them, so the scifi/fantasy books that contained religious themes were jarring to me. Exploration of belief systems is ok in small doses, but wrapping everything up with goddidit is not.

To be fair some like Narnia were fantasy rather than scifi (I tend to lump those into the same category which might be misleading). Others were probably just bad scifi that wrapped everything up with a bow using religion. The Ender's Game sequels would be an example of the religious theme eventually overpowering the scifi elements.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote