View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #48
wilsonch
Enthusiast
wilsonch is on a distinguished road

Device: Various Androids; Kindle Touch; Nook GlowLight Plus 7.8
cme, I sent a small epub file. Dostoevsky.

From iriver tech support I received a very clear reply to my questions about the Google Books client:

My questions:
---
Pre-sales tech question re Story HD Google Books client features

Since the Google Books client on the Story HD is being written by iriver using the API and not by Google, I have questions about features related to the online free Google Books. Please note I am asking only about the free books, not about standard commercial books being sold online by Google.

1. Online and in the Android Google Reader app developed by Google, one selects a book and puts it into one's Google Books library. Does the Story HD Google Books client use and update the user's Google Books library?

2. Online and via clients Google Books usually has two versions of a free book available -- the scanned PDF (an image, not searchable, text does not flow) and an epub (OCR'd text, is searchable, text does flow). The Android Google Reader app developed by Google initially presents a free book as the scanned PDF but in a menu the user can switch to the epub and back to the PDF, with no extra download steps or other bother. The app keeps the reader's place when it switches between the two views. Does the Google Books client on the Story HD have this dual-mode feature?

---
Their answers:

Thank you for taking an interest in the iriver Story HD e-reader. The answers to your 2 questions are: 1. Yes, 2. No.
wilsonch is offline   Reply With Quote