View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 01:01 AM   #35
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I always pretend to myself that such books take place in an alternate universe where technological advancement proceeded along different lines. So sure, space travel with analog computers, why not? We're already suspending disbelief. Up the ante.

How's this for a nit-pick? Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nymh. During the conversation about plowing, the shrew asks Mrs. Frisby, "Remember in the spring of sixty-five? He plowed on the eleventh of March, and on a Sunday at that."

In 1965, March 11 fell on a Thursday, not a Sunday.

(not my own, I found that online)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
It's the kind of nit I love to pick ... although, I probably wouldn't notice that one myself. I only remember those dates and days of the week that were somehow of screaming importance to me ... and 3/11/65 wasn't one of those.

It's a nit-pick, but if in an alternate universe, why can't Sunday be on a Thursday.
And according to Einstein's law of Relativity, the further and faster one travels there is a chance that by the time you reach where ever you are going, that today may be tomorrow, or the day before that...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote