View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #281
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
Hi Yifanlu, i have a suggestion that may be a bit complicated to achieve. But i will just shoot.

I am using firmware 3.2.1 for my kindle DXG thanks to you and i really like it. But there are some problems mostly minor but they are still there.

I think the inability to use active content and the long wake-up problem are the most important ones.

What i suggest is some kind of dual-boot for both 2.5.8 and 3.x in the same machine. Like Duokan or something like Duokan-lite which is launched from launch-pad. I know access to FAT is slow, but sometimes i want to play some of the kindle games and i don't want to turn back to 2.5.8 just for this.

I am already more than glad for what you did for us and it is just a suggestion from a fellow who knows nearly nothing about the background of kindle.
What you proposed is possible, but I don't have the time to do it. I can tell you how and leave the implementation to the reader.

First, you need my custom kernel and mount the NAND via USB. In Linux, delete the Vfat partition, create a 500MB ext2 partition and another smaller Vfat partition. Then dd the image to this new partition (2.5.8 or 3.2.1). Now here's the first hard part, make a duel boot script that remounts the rootfs if the user wants. The second hard part is changing some offsets hard coded in the filesystem. I don't know if this is required, but I havent done this before.

Now about those bugs. The long wake problem is caused by the power management. I think a solution is to port the kindle 3's kernel to kindle 2. This is hard because the CPU changed and amazon removed the old CPU support from the new kernel. Another way is to use the old powerd daemon from 2.5.8, but I tried it and the kindle crashed when it tries to sleep. I suspect some incompability with the newer scripts, but don't have the time to disassemble the thing.

The active content bug is caused by the kindle downloading the content built for 2.5.8. You need to either change the serial number to a kindle 3 or find a way to remove the drm from the active content downloaded to a kindle 3 (no public method is aviable).
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote