View Single Post
Old 10-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #88
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
I thought of another one for the sci/fi lovers. Don't know why I didn't think of this first.

Armor by John Steakley. This is actually one of the best sci/fi books ever written. But the author doesn't get much attention because he's only written 2 books and a very few short stories. His other book was a vampire book that they made into a movie. I read it (Armor I mean, not into vampire books much except original Dracula) about 10 years ago when I noticed it appearing on lists of best sci/fi novels of all time with an asterisk beside it.
John has written a fair bit of stuff, but mostly under pseudonyms or as a ghost writer.

One of his treasured memories about Armor was getting a note from Heinlein about it saying how impressed he was the second time he read it.

He also tells a hilarious story about being at a conference with Jerry Pournelle, and the two of them Not Getting Along. In fact, Not Getting Along to the point of "Okay. Step outside, and let's settle this man to man!" But not actually getting to that point because before punches were thrown, John said "Jerry, wait!" "Why?" "Because Bob Heinlein is gonna be here, and you gotta introduce me to him and say something nice about me!"
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote