View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The old firmwares may only support regular SD, not SDHC.
My suggestion is to upgrade to a newer fw, you can do this either via a USB cable and upload the newer firmware directly on the JB drive, or buy an older 1 or 2GB SD card and do it that way.

You may find that unless you put audio and pictures on cards like these, a 1GB card is more than enough for books, even if they include some pictures!

As far as the JB/JBL/JBmini, it's really a great device, but you may find it's only good for text based books, and the screen resolution is rather low (640x480 pix),still good enough for text!
If your eyes aren't what they used to, you may have to increase font size to such an extend that not many text lines are shown in the reader!

I also advise to get 4 AAA rechargable batteries for the mini!
The internal batteries last about 80 hours, and then suddenly die within an hour (meaning the bar indicating a 'full' charge will deplete to zero within the last 30minutes to an hour; kind of without warning leaving you stranded without battery).

I've had both devices, but still recommend the Astak EZ-Reader Pro over all these!
Not only because it's lighter in weight, but also because it can be gotten much cheaper (at $50 at geeks.com), and and has 800x600 e-ink resolution,which not only is capable of showing more text per screen (good if you have normal to better sight), and more detailed, but also it's e-ink, so it lasts longer per charge (about 1 month so far on my first charge,compared to 1 month on the batteries included in the JBL, which are about the best AAA batteries you'll find on the market, but are non rechargable).

And lastly, the mini is an awesome device, but loading fb2 books with pictures takes forever.
The way it works is not really efficient. Best thing is plug it into a wall socket (or USB port and make it use USB power), and open each book for the first time in your house, so that when you travel, you won't have to wait sometimes upto 2,5 minutes before a book opens up for the first time!

It seems to me that the JBmini converts FB2 to another format internally. I wish they had this conversion process on the computer, so you could already transfer the files needed for the mini to open ahead of time, as most pc's are hundreds of times faster than the JBmini.

Last edited by ProDigit; 03-31-2012 at 11:50 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote