View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
The policy is there for a good reason: to keep someone from monopolizing the book. It's important that it be on the shelf for a certain amount of time so that browsers can come across it. Not everyone uses the catalogue. My library used have an issue with a gentleman who would check out all the books on resumes and employment and, when the renewals were expired, do as you suggest. We had to institute a waiting period to allow other people to get a crack at the book. Libraries are as much for the browsers and the people who read in the library as for those who check out the books.
Peace. As a long-time user and lover of libraries, I uphold the rights of all. library users. I do take your point. But a librarian should also be able to distinguish between a habitual offender and one who ran out of time, just this once. Or twice.

The waiting period makes me a little uncomfortable, frankly. It means the library is tracking what people are reading. What's their response when Homeland Security comes a-knocking with questions? I'd rather have a seat-of-the-pants judgment from a librarian who knows the patrons and the issue and can enforce an informal policy, "Gee, Mr. Jones, we really do have to let these job-hunting books stay in circulation, so many people are looking for jobs these days. I'm afraid I can't let you check them out again right away." Although I acknowledge the difficulty with that, too, if Mr. Jones decides to create a scene. Sometimes there's no perfect solution.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote