View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoric View Post
Actually, the next version of OpenBerg Lector will support pageview. We expected to release this version by the end of August but we found a large bug in this feature, so the release was pushed back to whenever we find the time to fix it. That's one of the main problems with 100% volunteer-based projects: real work has to come first.
Page View enhances the user experience and makes the ebook like a real book. Support for this really needs widow and orphan control set to look and work nice.

page view is a computer hog when it comes to sizing the book which is why mobipocket avoids this. As was pointed out earlier changing fonts can really mess this up. However, I believe a good reader can mitigate the problem. My eb1150 builds two sizes into the original release of the document (using tables mapping the locations I believe) which solves the problem completely unless you want a different sized font.

Personally I think epub generation should precompile a couple of page sizes into the document but a good reader can almost do the same thing. Books are seldom read in one session so when the user starts up the first time there can be a hit while the paging is done but this data should be stored away in a file that also keeps just things as bookmarks and current read location. Then, subsequent startups will be fast since this data is already present. If the user choose to change the font size then there would be a one time hit while the new data was calculated and added to the metadata file. I think this would be a good compromise between user features and performance. The reader should not repaginate for changes to the window size but should allow the user to choose to repaginate (reflow).

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote