View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #129
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtj1 View Post
The first time I tried flashing the kernel and rootfs I noticed that the kernel code had reset itself to all zeroes instead of 00041000. It was when i attempted it again that I ran into the dead battery issue and the flashing would consistently fail.

When I was able get a new battery put in and successfully flash the kernel and rootfs I unplugged the kindle then slide the switch to turn it on, nothing happened, tried holding it for 15 seconds, nothing happened and tried holding it for 30 seconds, still nothing. Let the device charge for a while and tried it again, no response.

The only possible thing I can think of is that in the box for the programming code, am I supposed to type in 00041000 for the kernel and 003C1000 for the rootfs or actually put the 0x before each of them even though the box is labeled 0x?
Both K3Flasher and the ATK use the same "Kindle side" binary provided by Freescale.

In another thread here, I and a few other folk have begun to question just how reliable that "Kindle side" binary is outside of the lab environment it was intended to be used in.

Now - back O.T:
Trying to run that "Kindle side" binary under a "low battery" condition may have made its behavior even less predictable.

My reasoning:
The SoC hardware detects the "low battery" condition and forces the internal clock to "low speed, low power" operation (24Mhz).
The eMMC that is being flashed has a minimum clock speed of about twice that.
Plus the things that we (the small group looking) have already questioned about that "Kindle side" binary and that it has very limited error checking ...
Well, in summary, there isn't any telling what it did, what it tried to write and what of that mess the eMMC was able to record under "low voltage" operation mode.

Translation:
Your machine is not broke, don't throw it away, but it may have to be treated as if the eMMC has totally trashed out contents.
That will take someone to provide you with parts of the image that are normally not required in a de-bricking operation.
Like the parts Hawhill has mentioned here.

If you can get K3Flasher to work, under a Linux, LiveCD, long enough to run the "dump it" script . . . .
Having those files in their current, non-working state, would be a big help.

That will require a Linux LiveCD that lets you "save files" - the Knoppix LiveCD distribution is probably the easiest to setup for that.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote