View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 AM   #64
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
And they're not alone... Adobe DRM has become more restricted than ever in recent years. In both cases, they went with soft DRM while they built market share... then tightened the noose when everyone was committed to using them, guaranteeing the fewest drop-outs.
And still, THIS DRM DOES NOT WORK! No matter what they do, I am not a digital computer. For ME to consume the content, it must be presented to me in an analog format. Therefore, all a pirate has to do is take pictures of the screen, send the jpgs to an OCR program, and assemble an unencrypted copy (which, btw, looks exactly like the same process carried out using a paper copy). All the evidence I've ever seen says the darknet versions mostly show errors typical of an OCR process, not the versions reached by copying an version sold unencrypted. Yes, I know there are exceptions, but they tend to be in the noise level, see other posts about looking for Steve Jordan's books.

And please, do NOT accuse me of being a thief. I have NEVER downloaded ANYTHING from the darknet. Even worse, I have NEVER BROKEN the DRM on an ebook. So far, I've just resisted buying anything with drm, with very limited exceptions. I have ONE book for my Rocket with drm that I have not subsequently found LEGALLY available without encryption (thank you BAEN for releasing Miller & Lee's Liaden books after their previous epublisher went down). I know I can, I think I probably will some day, but I haven't. Yet. (And EOS Books are a pain - I paid a hardback price for an encrypted ebook. I won't again.)
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote