View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Mekk
Mekk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-600
Annotations - any ideas of sensible approach?

I am fairly heavily annotating books while reading (using my Sony PRS-600). Especially I mark a lot of quotes. And I dream about some solution which would let me to:

a) backup those annotations (preferably to calibre library, so they could be kept together with books)

b) restore them back to my reader (in case I delete the book from the reader, then put it back there)

and maybe

c) review those annotations on PC somehow (one of the ideas was to convert into format of jarnal or gournal, at least in case of pdf files).

d) convert those annotations to another reader format in case I buy one in the future.

I plan to hack some code (from the Sony side it does not seem too difficult, they use XML files with readable structure), but I am not yet sure which approach to undertake. In particular:

1) Are there any chances to define some "portable" annotations format (or database structure, or...) for Calibre? Sony has fairly rich set of possibilities (marked quotes, freeline drawings, text notes - all bound to specific locations in the book), I don't know about other readers but I feel the general model should be similar.

2) Does it seem sensible to define some "common" place in Calibre library to store those. Extra files in book directories? Custom database fields? Sth else?

3) In case there is a hope for 1) and 2), what is the best approach to merge such functionality with calibre?
Mekk is offline   Reply With Quote