Thread: $13 eReader?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #48
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
I'd buy it. At this price, I am pretty sure it will be rooted fast.
Actually it could be the first unrootable reader, as an image viewer is trivial enough to not need Linux at all. With uncompressed bitmap images - every image the same size regardless of content - they'd not even need a filesystem but could address the internal storage memory directly. Such a device could be built with next to no RAM and very little CPU power. Especially if there's is a smart device behind it that could do the more complicated things, like figure out how to (re)arrange multiple books in the internal storage.

I hope they didn't do it that way, but we won't know until it's out I guess?

Another possibility would be that they made it smarter than it need be, for example even an image viewer could allow changing font size, if the smartphone created prerendered versions of several font sizes, stored them all on the reader, and the reader had a concept of how to link reading progress between the differently sized versions. It would probably tenfold the storage capacity required per book, but it could be made to work.

Question is how much thought the developers of this thing put in it and which design descisions they made.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote