View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #767
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Hmmm, this is very worrying... Can this happen on a Kindle 3 too? I.e. upgrading without my consent AND without me even turning on WiFi/3G? If so, then I would be very interested in a hack to PREVENT this from happening. KPV on Kindle 3 is, for me, a "mission critical" application and I don't want to wake up one day to see the device "auto-upgraded" with something that disables it.

What I am saying is that they may turn on WiFi "behind my back" and download the latest firmware and upgrade the device. Is this at all possible? Does anyone know the answer?

I found this suggestion:

# mv /etc/uks /etc/uks.disabled

Is this a good idea or will it disable ALL TODO requests, e.g. getting a book via WiFi? I want to disable just the auto-updating.

Last edited by tigran; 11-20-2012 at 05:57 AM.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote