View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #46
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
You are not really addressing my points. I get the same deal either way at the onset, but from your own words, I feel that you like sellers, that because of poor product control, eventually allow the product to be given away. It is that model that pressures me to be only an occasional author and cuts down on my output.

Those kinds of sellers in my eyes aren't of much help to me because after the initial sale, my product is easy to give away.

It is an inherent problem with the electronic market, and you are right to compare it to music. It is destructive.

I would love to be big enough to be able to demand exclusiveness.
There are times when a retailer will "give away" some of their stock to
encourage sales of the rest (loss leaders, is a term I've heard used), but a
retailer who actually has "poor product control" is soon out of business.

I think we have a different view of what prevents a loss of sales for ebooks.

First, a mass pirating of a book is something reserved for the most popular,
in demand properties. DRM in no way prevents that. Nowadays, the pirating
often takes place before any ebooks are released.

DRM is intended to prevent the casual sharing of PURCHASED ebooks. If you
consider this occasional occurrence as a lost sale, rather than exposing another
ebook reader to your work, then so be it. But how often do you think people
who buy books themselves, are interested in supplying others who don't buy
them? I would think the rare "You Gotta Read This!" based give away, to be in
the author's long term interest.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote