View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It's been a while since I posted the routine tips for new JBL users, so here goes:

You might consider a couple of things that may provide for some added confidence in
the performance of your JBL, and your ability to understand and address the internal
flash memory (sometimes called the JBL's "hard drive", here).

You can treat the JBL's internal memory as and external drive attached to your PC
by the USB cable. Windows will assign a drive letter to the JBL's internal memory
as it sees the JBL internal flash memory as an attached FAT structure partition.

While the JBL ships from the factory with the internal memory formatted to FAT16,
which is fine for the 120MB. I would suggest that it makes sense to reformat it to
FAT32 to match the format you will want on the higher capacity SD card flash
memory. The FAT32 also includes more advanced file handling and stability
features. (Although, neither format intrinsically supports "load leveling", a feature
of particular interest for flash memory structures.)

Windows includes the "ChkDsk" utility which can find and correct defects in a FAT
file structure, I also feel it is wise to run ChkDsk with the option to "Automatically
fix file system errors" checked but not the option to "Scan for and attempt recovery
of bad sectors". The format function includes the option to run some ChkDsk routines.

If you open "My Computer" you should see all your recognized drives listed. If you
connect your JBL to your PC, with the USB cable, and then open "My Computer"
you should see a new drive listed for your JBL's internal memory ( and one for any
SD card you may have in the JBL)

You can create a folder on one of your PC's hard drives to receive the contents of
your JBL's internal memory. Then click on the drive letter for your JBL to open
a window displaying the contents of the JBL internal memory. You can then use
Ctrl-A to select all the JBL internal memory contents and drag it to the folder on
your PC's hard drive. Now you will have a backup in case you need it, and you
can safely reformat the JBL's internal memory, to FAT32 and run ChkDsk on it.

With the USB cable connected, and My Computer open "Right-Click" on the drive
letter for the JBL's internal memory and you should see a "Format" option. You
can select that option and set the format to FAT32 and set the option for
"Automatically fix system errors" as well as the "Quick Format" option if you like.

You should now have a clean and well structured internal memory. You need to
have a "Books" and a "Pictures" folder on the "Root" of the internal memory.
(They can be empty folders.) You can copy back as much or as little of the
original contents as you want, otherwise. ( Having some extra room in the
internal memory can't hurt, in my opinion.)

If you have firmware version 0.16e then you should have a hidden folder;
".adobe-digital-editions" which ADE needs to recognize your device as one it
can "Authorize". If you have already gone through that process you will have
a "Digital Editions" folder and some subfolders. You would probably want to
copy those back to your JBL, as well.

--------------------------------

Firmware Repair and/or Diagnostic Screen Access how to:

The thing is, you can fairly easily reset the JBL to factory settings and install the current
firmware on the device.

Make sure you have a fresh set of batteries in your JBL then:

You should remove any SD card from your JBL and connect the USB cable to backup your
JBL's internal memory, to a folder on your PC's hard drive. There should be a new drive
letter for your JBL's internal memory on your PC now. (If you had an SD card in the JBL,
there would also be a new drive letter for that.)

It is much better to have a USB 2.0 SD/Media Card reader/writer connected to your PC
and work with your SD cards using that, but if all you have is the JBL it is possible
to use it to make your update/repair SD card.

Reformatting the JBL's internal memory to FAT32 is a good idea and running ChkDsk on it
while you have the JBL connected to your PC with the USB cable is a good idea as well.
After the internal memory is cleaned up you would copy the contents you saved earlier
back onto your device.

If you can get passed the logo screen then you should be able to do this:

First if you only have one SD card then you will want to back it up to a folder on your
PC's hard drive.

Format an SD card for use during the update of the firmware. (I still use FAT16 for this
although I understand that FAT32 works as well.) The formatting will insure a clean card
and root directory into which the three update folders go.

Be sure to use a firmware update with all three folders to make the SD card. Insert the
SD card into the JBL. (They should be the folders not .zip files, unzip to your Hard Drive
first.)

Make sure the USB cable is not connected at this point.

Then you go to the Diagnostics Menu built into the JBL, it is here that you can do the
#13 - Reflash NOR and the #7 - restore factory defaults

To enter the diagnostics screen:
Reset the device. Then hold down three buttons.
They are: "on/off" "zoom" and "menu".
When you see the jetBook screen let go of "on.off".
Keep holding the "zoom" and "menu" keys until you see a 16 item screen.
It's tricky, so it may take a couple of tries.

Then you can reflash the NOR Memory and restore the JBL to factory defaults.

After that is done reset the JBL.

Now you can update the firmware as you normally would.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70171
(Use the link to the Ectaco/jetBook site for the latest download.)

Follow all directions and don't play with any settings you don't understand.

This procedure should fix any firmware related problem. If you have a valid download
of valid firmware and this doesn't fix the problem then it is a hardware issue.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-09-2011 at 07:17 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote