View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #21
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by M T McGuire View Post
This is true with Lulu but not Smashwords which is annoying... it's 30% (reduced to 0% if I'm prepared to spent £120 a year getting notarised ID and filling in four or five of the IRS's lovely forms, culminating in the tax return). 30% isn't too much (although of course vice versa, the UK only witholds 20% naturally) but I don't know if it's 30% of gross or net, presumably it's 30% of whatever Smashwords might pay to me, 30% of gross would be completely barking... oh... but sorry, I forgot, it's the IRS.

Sigh...
Uh huh. And that's how Smashwords used to do it, too. Bah.

If it helps, the 30% is out of your earnings, not out of the list price of an ebook.

FWIW, folks, I'm looking at setting up an epublishing service to deal with all this hassle on behalf of authors - I just need to make sure that I won't get myself horribly tangled up in international tax red tape
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote