View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #482
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Data points from tonight, when I powered down, deleted one book from the card and added an updated version (with a new name) plus six more books with the PC, put the card back in the still-off device, and powered up.

Card specs: 8GB Class 10 card, largest book just under 2MB, 149 total DRM-free EPUBs.

Device specs: Kobo Touch, latest 2.4.0 firmware, and 68 books on the device (for 217 total books).

Time from "display 5 most recent books on device" to "processing" screen: 18 seconds.

Time spent on "processing" screen: 9 minutes. That's about eighty seconds spent processing each book.
You have a problem. I have a 1GB SanDisk card with about 500 books on it. This is 310 epubs and the rest are PDF. None have DRM on them. This card is used purely for testing. In the main memory I have about 164 books.

I put the card into my Glo for the first time since the last factory reset. I have had a card in recently that had two or three books on in. When I inserted the my testing card, it took less than 10 minutes to process them all. Unfortunately, I didn't time it, just put the card in and went an did something else for about ten minutes. Right now, I ejected the card, went to the library list and reinserted it. It took about 10 seconds before displaying the home screen. The processing screen was never displayed as all the books on it were already in the database. I ejected the card again, added four epubs to the card via the PC and put it into the Glo again. The total time to redisplay the home page, including the processing step, was less than 10 seconds.

I took the card out an put it into my Touch. This has 75 books in the main memory. Recognising the card took 10 seconds or so. Processing the card took a little less than 5 minutes. Ejecting the card and reinserting it took about 10 seconds to update the home screen. Then I ejected it and removed the four books I added above. Insert to home screen flash was about 15 seconds. Lastly, I ejected and put those four books back on, but in a different directory. When I inserted it, it took 25 seconds from insert to displaying the updated home screen.

With that as a comparison, it explains why I don't have a problem with this, but you do. The only issue I have is with the amount of time the devices take to see the card. The Glo is taking about five seconds, the Touch about 10 seconds.

But, as I said above, I think there is a problem for you. The most like explanation is that something is wrong with the database on your Touch. The simplest fix is to log out of you Kobo account on the device and then log in again. This removes the old database and creates a new empty one. Then it will add the books back in. Unfortunately, you lose the reading status of all the books. So, take a copy of the database first and try this. If it doesn't help, you can put the backup back on.

Other than that, two questions about what you are doing and seeing:

- Why are you powering off before removing/inserting the card? Do you power off when not reading and hence do this at that time? Or are you powering off to remove the card? It isn't needed. All the tests above are with a running device.

- On the "processing" screen, what happens with the percentage? Did it jump five or six times or something else?

We should also move to another thread for this. It isn't really a firmware request any more. Maybe a friendly mod can move these posts for us.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote