View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #32
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I'm torn between the two. I love the hardware of the Android-based devices that I own. I'm a fan of the Android OS. But I find certain elements of iOS (primarily the limited multitasking) to be superior.

Android multitasking is improving with each release, but it still isn't where it needs to be for a mobile, battery-operated device. If there was a system setting to activate an iOS-like multitasking mode (impossible to do without rewriting a few OS subsystems, APIs, and applications using those APIs) I'd be totally sold out for Android without hesitation.

There is absolutely no good reason for any application to autostart simply because it was installed. Virtually all of the apps that I use do that. Some may point to poorly written apps as the culprit. Maybe so, or maybe the OS shouldn't provide a way for apps to autostart without allowing the user to override that behavior.

Some will claim that just because an app is listed as "running" doesn't mean that the apps is actively using resources. My response to that is, run some comprehensive testing for yourself. I have run those tests. And there is noticeable differences in system performance and battery life when those apps are installed (autostarted but not manually invoked) and when those apps are not installed.
Multitasking is multitasking; you can't have apps freeze in the background and call it multitasking; what apple has is not true multitasking for this very reason.

There are ways to prevent apps from loading when the device boots, just Google and you'll find answers. Most of the time the request is genuine, but if it is not, you can always uninstall the app and tell the developer why you did so.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote