View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 PM   #14
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Got the Sony lrf version on Manybooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
In Shattered Crystals, Mia Amalia Kanner recounts the true story of her desperate struggle to save her family from annihilation in Nazi Germany and war-torn France. Yet this is much more than a Holocaust history. It is about a courageous Jewish woman who, on finding herself destitute, becomes a cook in a home for war-displaced Jewish children. She faces an agonizing choice. Is giving up her three young daughters necessary to save their lives? Mia's odyssey is also a love story of a remarkable woman who secures her husband's release from Buchenwald concentration camp. Then, during the darkest days of the war, he is arrested in France. Now she must find a way to save him from deportation to the death camps. Before Hitler, they had been an ordinary family. As Mia and her husband face ever increasing danger and persecution, readers find themselves asking, “What would I have done?”

Available as PDF with maps and photos from the author's website here and in text-only versions in various formats at Feedbooks and Manybooks.

It's a really good read -- exciting (and occasionally harrowing), written more like a novel than a dry history. (I can say that, as I'm just the copy-editor, not the author! ) Enjoy!

I went directly to the authors website & hit the ebook link. It mentioned that a Sony version was available thru manybooks, so I was able to get that version pretty easily - no need for ePub if you have a Sony 505.

Hope that helps...
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote