View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #60
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Whatever it does, if a device or a piece of software is in any way dependent on a third-party, then I don't want it.

I'll never use online-only applications, I'll never use software that depends on a permanent internet connection to function (yeah, I know: I browser does. No wise-cracking here, you know what I mean), and I'll certainly never store any documents in a cloud.

I'm staying off-line with all of my data and software, forever.

That enables me to use a piece of data or software as long as I have a platform to run it on, be it a real computer running a real operating system, a virtual machine running an old operating system, an emulator, or even something like WINE on Linux.

The only reason that I accept the Windows activation is because I *need* that operating system for some of my software (and games). In 2020, when Windows 7 will go out of support, I'll re-install it, and update and activate it, after which I'll create an image. That way, I'll be able to run it on this computer as long as the hardware lasts.

A Chromebook heavily depends on online services, and thus it changes when the online service changes. I detest that. I don't want my computer to change suddenly.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote