View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
To be precise, it's not a very eReader friendly platform. As noted above, I can buy Kindle and AdobeDRM books on the Chromebook and read them there. What we can't do is use the Chromebook to register those DRM-protected files and sideload them to an eReader.

(If your preferred reading device is a wireless-enabled Kindle, Android phone or tablet, though, you could buy your books via the Chromebook and they'd be delivered automatically to the reading device.)
Chromebooks pose no obstacle for ebooks for me. I can purchase or borrow Kindle ebooks on my Nexus 4 and then read them on my Kindle 4. No computer needed whatsoever.

Quote:
We also don't have a great way to manage non-DRM protected ebooks, as we can't run Calibre on a Chromebook without dual-booting to a Linux environment, but we can use Google Drive or the local file manager to organise the files and sideload using USB to the eReader.
Dual booting isn't a problem for me; just as long as the programs I use can be run.

Quote:
As you say, though, we're currently stuffed for audiobooks via Overdrive. That's at least partly due to the proprietary nature of WMA. By the same token, Microsoft seem to be in no hurry to release a version of Skype that will run on ChromeOS.
This is the major roadblock for me. I value audiobooks far more than ebooks. I need a computer that will allow me to borrow OverDrive WMA audiobooks from a public library and then allow me to load them onto my Sansa Clip, iPod touch, or any of my Android devices I have.

I realize the OverDrive app will allow me to borrow and listen to MP3 audiobooks on my Android and iOS devices, but that format is in the minority. By far, most library audiobooks are in WMA format.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote