View Single Post
Old 11-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #49
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'd love to get a Chromebook to replace my Windows machine, but lack of OverDrive and WMA support is a deal breaker for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Chromebook has shortcomings like with offline printing, and some programs that don't have offline capability, but security is no more a problem than with any other computer.

This worry about Google peeking at your files as has been discussed in this thread is way overblown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
And you can't run Calibre on it, right? We have a Chromebook that's great for internet. But not for the programs I use on a daily basis, Kindle4PC, Calibre, Sigil, Q-Dir file manager, Adobe Digital Editions.
This answer is pretty much cheating, but how about adding an adjunct/complementary OS to accomplish what you want?

The first thing I did with my cheapo Acer Chromebook ($130 refurb from Acer) with the 320 GB hard drive was to install a simple version of Ubuntu Linux, Crouton, from which I can hotkey back and forth between ChromeOS and Linux and share the Downloads folder.

The first application I installed in Crouton was Calibre. Easy, since there's a Linux version of Calibre.

And switching from ChromeOS to Linux allows me to print any ChromeOS documents that I put in the Downloads folder to a USB-attached printer.

Stretching this bogus answer further, perhaps Wine (Windows Emulator) for Linux would work and thus allow OverDrive to be installed and run (I don't know, Crouton is a scaled back Ubuntu and I haven't tried this--though even if it's not in package management, I imagine a motivated person could use git and compile from source). You could even play the WMA DRM audiobooks in the Linux part of your Chromebook with Mplayer (you need to find the SID using freeme2).

Amazing what computing one can do with a $130 machine.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote