View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Bloody Twist in the Lupe Solano series by Carolina Garcia-Aguilera

I debated for a while before adding this one, but decided I narrowly came down on the side of recommending it.

Bloody Twist is seventh in the Lupe Solano chick lit/P.I. series set in Miami, self-pubbed (or at least very small-press-pubbed) after a hiatus of many years. Although I’m not a princess, and not really usually into chick lit, I enjoyed the earlier books in the series when they came out in paper. I especially liked Lupe’s antics as she tried to combine being a pampered Cuban-American from a wealthy family with being a private investigator.

I was happy to find Bloody Twist, but somewhat less happy after I read it. Somehow it felt to me as if this book were trying a bit too hard to be funny and cute, maybe even arch, rather than letting it happen naturally. The whole thing felt forced to me, enough that it got a little in the way of my enjoyment.

I think if you really loved the first books in the Lupe Solano series, you might still like this book, so I’m putting in a sort of tepid recommendation for it. But for me it came down pretty much in the middle – I could have taken it or left it.

Last edited by sufue; 01-25-2013 at 06:14 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote