View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Self-pubbed continuations of previously print-published series

This thread, if it becomes a thread and not just my three or four posts, is meant to discuss/recommend self-pubbed continuations to previously print-published series. And maybe, to keep it from being ridiculously narrow, this could also be a place to discuss self-pubbed books similar (i.e. same genre or style) to previously print-published books by a particular author, even if not clearly in a “series”.

The idea for this came to me while reading the “Mystery Freebies” thread in the “Deals” forum, when the OP of that thread said that she wouldn’t like to see self-pubbed continuations to previously print-published series in her thread, and I thought, “but wait a minute, me, I WOULD like to hear about such books!”

I find that my tastes don’t always necessarily mesh with what big publishers seem to think is viable, and so series sometimes get ended too soon – at least IMO. Now that authors can self-pub, some of these previously defunct series are being continued, but it can be hard to find out about the new self-pubbed titles and whether they are really any good.

To provide a bit of a filter on the huge amount of self-pubbed stuff out there, I would like to ask that the poster have actually read the book, or at least a good chunk of the book, as well as at least one other in the series (or other similar books by the author), so they can provide at least a teeny bit of a review of the book and how it compares to others in the series. I’m going to post a few recommendations that I can think of, and then if others want to participate, cool. And, if not, this will just dwindle away into the land of unread posts!

[edit] BTW, although this started in the "Mystery" part of the "Deals" forum, I don't mean it to be just for mystery series or authors - all genres welcome as far as I'm concerned...

Last edited by sufue; 01-25-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: add clarificatio
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote