View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@toka:

Hmm... you sort of caught me with this, so I thought a bit more about it. Would something like the following make sense?

- the Kindle device could work in two modes: "administrator" mode and "user" mode.
- In administrator mode, it would essentially provide the default UI, allowing to change all settings.
- In user mode, only a very limited set of functionalities would be available (1. select books, 2. read book = 1. home screen, 2. reader app), where both would be adapted to special needs.
- To switch between modes, and to support multiple users, the Kindle would have to be connected to a PC, where some kind of (to-be-developed) management software is running. This software could set the mode (admin/user), and set individual user settings (which books are available, reader font size(if needed and differing between users(?)), possibly other settings if needed(?)).

I'm attaching a few "sample" images (the images are totally amateurish because of my absolute lack of talent for anything related to graphics... but the idea should still be clear).

Note: there are quite a few question marks in the above text, simply because I don't know what the actual requirements really are. The sample screens are probably pretty close to what is actually sensible (in the sense of: if even larger fonts are required, then it will become unusable. Smaller fonts should be no problem).

Another question: the Home button is something that is treated very specially in the Kindle firmware (as it's pretty much the only physical button on the device). Since you are saying that a landscape view is preferrable, which means that the button will be close to either the left or the right hand: is it safe to assume that users will not hit the home button inadvertently (i.e., trying to touch the screen, but hitting the button instead)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	home.png
Views:	462
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	91944   Click image for larger version

Name:	reader.png
Views:	381
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	91945   Click image for larger version

Name:	reader2.png
Views:	377
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	91946  

Last edited by ixtab; 09-06-2012 at 09:38 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote