View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 04:10 AM   #5
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
One trick ponies.
Perhaps indeed.

However, RIM and Blackberry is the absolute best in terms of what they do for their traditionally targeted customer base:

the corporate world.

IMO/IME, a huge part of the struggle RIM now faces is their desire to capture the retail consumer market. They want more but from the perspective of an average retail consumer, sure, iPhone and the like are a helluva lot sexier than BB. Duh!

As for their positioning in the corporate world? I see no evidence of mass, organization-wide defections away from RIM to either Apple or Android or any other internal corporate mobile platform.

Sure, lots of company's are "looking" at iPads and iPhones. But most all of this is just vanity driven, with the requests coming from senior people who simply want a schmexier-looking device.

When the time for the real heavy lifting comes, and more rational decision makers are heard, I believe it will still be the continuing VITAL, MISSION CRITICAL concerns of overall device and infrastructure security, tight integration, platform and device stability and extensive corporate IT control which will rule the day. And in these areas, BB/RIM is without peer.

Similarly, I see no corporate entities rushing out to ditch their WinXP/WinXX desktops in favor of iOS or Linux, certainly not in any widespread manner.

Eventually...perhaps - who knows? But big business is universally conservative, especially in terms of their technology deployments. They HAVE to be. So any widespread paradigm changes in the corporate world will come crawling and with significant pain and after endless rounds of consideration.

Of course, all of the above is simply a reflection of what I have observed in the corporate world and in my current discussions with other corporate folks.

I will throw this out though: As a corporate BB user for 10+ years, I challenge anyone to compose more accurate, speedy and typo-free emails than I can while on my BB against those using a touchscreen device like iPhone, etc...

I am talking about average users of both RIM and touch-input devices of a similar size [no unfair BB vs iPad comparisons and no superfreak geeks].

Last edited by lestatar; 07-01-2011 at 09:23 AM.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote